Have you been battling with yourself to gain more productivity but are at a loss? It happens to the best of us, especially in a culture that focuses more on hustling than getting meaningful work done in a balanced way.
Today, we’re going to share five tricks that will help you be more productive in 2022. Read on to know more!
- Select a dedicated workspace: If you feel like you have an erratic style of working where you may feel low on motivation most of the time but only get work done in the last moment, there may be a correlation with procrastination or mental fatigue. One way to get out of your own way is to have a designated workspace that your mind can associate with work.
- Create weekly milestones: Do you start off full steam ahead but then fizzle out by the end of the week? It could be you pushing way too much on Monday, having no energy to give after midweek. Instead, adopt the strategy of pacing yourself. Create a set of weekly milestones for you to reach, and watch how motivated you feel as you get to each one. Make sure to keep these targets reachable and gradually increase the level of difficulty if you’re a first-timer so that you get used to reward your success. These milestones will help you approach your work with more intentionality.
- Put yourself out there: If you’re an entrepreneur and want to get out of your comfort zone, productivity has a big link to it. One of the reasons why start-ups run out of steam after the initial hustle is due to the lack of any immediate event. While you’re waiting for the launch of your product or service, you could participate in expos and put up trade show displays of your prototype. This will help you gain helpful feedback from real and potential investors, or even grab the eye of an interested angel that would like to boost your business!
- Make a prioritized checklist: Do you always feel like your mind is on overdrive due to the never-ending queue of tasks? Luckily, this can be easily remedied with a simple method- using prioritized checklists. What this does is create a space in your physical where you can see all the work that you need to do minus being all in your head about it. It will also substantially reduce your anxiety around unfinished or pending work. Creating a prioritized list can also help you tackle the biggest tasks first, giving you space throughout the day.
- Work in bursts of time: It has been observed that working continuously for over 3 hours can lead to a decline in your productivity. This could occur due to the reason that our brains are meant to receive short breaks after intensive breaks. Instead, introduce a pattern of deep work of 2 hours and taking a short 10-minute break (or nap) in between. This will help your mind break big tasks into small parts, getting things done productively.
- Start a productivity journal. Journaling is a great way to improve productivity. You can buy yourself a guided journal or get a blank journal and try stream of consciousness journaling.
The detriment of hustling too hard is that you’ll eventually burn out, or harm your career by not optimizing your efficiency as a professional. Instead, improve your productivity by inculcating deep discipline in your working style with the tips mentioned above that will help you your entire life!